Congrats! The job hunt is over and you have officially landed that shiny, new job.
Adjusting to your new job can be just as difficult as the endless interviews. As I am beginning a fresh journey within my career, here are some tips that I’ve learned in the last few weeks.
1. Observe. Yes, we all want to make friends ASAP, but take your time. This is the moment, perhaps the only moment, that you can observe and see who is the office gossip, overachiever, leader and most liked. Where do you see yourself? Who do you want to be associated with? It’s never what it seems!
2. Volunteer. Does your office have a lot of company team bonding activities? Join! Try something you normally wouldn’t be involved with to meet new people. Although you may be busy, it’s always worth it.
3. Keep a Schedule. Have you always gone to yoga after work on Tuesdays? Keep hitting the mat! It’s easy to throw your personal hobbies to the side to focus on your new job, but keep your personal activities on the agenda to keep you balanced.
4. Eat. It’s challenging enough as you get used to a new work load and faces, so stay energized! No skipping breakfast or pretending you don’t need a big lunch to get you through the day. Eat, drink lots of water and eat some more!
5. Share. Soon, someone new will be starting, just like you. Help them out! It will also reinforce what you learned on the new job.